Encyclopedia > Town Český Krumlov > Buildings in the Historical Center of Český Krumlov > Latrán Street

Latrán No. 12

Latrán no.  12, overview, foto: Ladislav Pouzar Location:
Latrán No. 12

Description of the Building:
Two story building on the corner of Latrán street and the castle stairs covered by a double-pitched roof. The west facade consists of an early Baroque gable with volute wings and small pyramids with decorating elements that end the pediment. The facade facing the street has a Baroque division with windows framed by ribbon-shaped stucco, pointing into the lugs of corner quoins. The interior layout of the house dates from the early Baroque period, while there are remnants of the original Gothic construction on the first story.

Architectural and Historical Development:
This was originally a Gothic house, as evidenced by the portals and walls on the first story. The house is mentioned for the first time in writing in 1513. The house probably underwent a Renaissance renovation between 1589 and 1624, and early Baroque modifications took place between 1653 and 1685. The most significant alteration came in 1841, when the owner connected the house with his other property, house Latrán No. 7 on the castle stairs.

Significant Architectural Features:
Very valuable are the rooms on the second story, with decorated Renaissance ceiling joists and fragments of interior paintings.

Latrán no.  12, interior, foto: Ladislav Pouzar Latrán no.  12, interior, fresco and ceiling, foto: Ladislav Pouzar


There is a well preserved, Classicist small room on the second story that faces the front of the house. The construction of the truss is also historically valuable, as it dates back to Baroque and has massive Andrew\'s crosses.

Latrán no.  12, interior, fresco at door, foto: Ladislav Pouzar Latrán no.  12, vaulted ceilings in the interior, foto: Ladislav Pouzar


Latrán no.  12, historical photo History of the House Residents:

Without a doubt, there was a building on the plot as early as the very beginning of the Latrán settlement. The oldest written record is from 1513, when the house was held by sword-cutler Bartoloměj. The first selling price we know about was 330 three ends of Meissen groschen in 1653. Between 1761 and 1769, the price rose from 385 florins to 925 florins. A soap boiler shop was in the house from 1796 until the end of the nineteenth century. Two of the better known owners were the drummer at the prince\'s court Jan Peltzel (after 1685) and Josef Teichtl, the forester of the prince and later the Schwarzenberg captain of the Orlík estate (1730 - 1735).



Present Use:
Sporting goods, Newsstand