Encyclopedia > Town Český Krumlov > Buildings in the Historical Center of Český Krumlov > Latrán Street

Latrán No. 43

Latrán no. 43, overview Location:
Latrán No. 43

Description of the Building:
Three story building with sgraffito facade and a two story rear wing. There is a rendering of a rose, eagle and lion above the second story windows in the sgraffito facade. The sgraffito decoration framing the windows on the second story does not always correspond with the window openings. The front on the first story is broken by oval vaulted stucco decoration. The front is completed by a rectangular gable with a rugged fronton and spires on both sides and in the middle. The gable contains a fragment of a year - 161., signifying sometime in the second decade of the 17th century. The back of the two story wing has a volute gable. The roof is covered with shingles and tiling.

Architectural and Historical Development:
It is a Renaissance building that was built in three phases, maybe using walls of an older structure. During the first phase, a two story house was built and the first story plus the second story front has been preserved up to this time. Based on the sgraffito facade which is similar to facades in České Budějovice and also in Český Krumlov (Kájovská No. 63) from the 1570s, it is safe to assume that some kind of construction activity took place then. During the first decade of the seventeenth century, the third story had been added, as evidenced by the inscription on the facade. The rear wing was built during the Classicist period in the last quarter of the eighteenth century. Again, it had probably replaced an older structure. The sgraffito was uncovered in 1923, the house renovated between 1952 and 1954, the facade in 1978 and also later.

Latrán no. 43, grafitto on the facade

Significant Architectural Features:
A very important landmark of Manneristic architecture of the first quarter of the seventeenth century. Besides the aforementioned facade decorations, there are Renaissance vaulted rooms with caps on the first story. There is a wooden gallery along the entire length the courtyard face of the main building.

View onto middle part of Latrán Street in Český Krumlov, historical photo History of the House Residents:
The first owner of the house was burgher Benešek during the first third of the sixteenth century. Hans Heller with his wife Anna lived here during the 1540s and the first half of the 1550s. Rope-maker Toman lived here shortly after Heller\'s death in 1556. When Toman died in 1559, the city council sold the house on behalf of the orphans to mason Augustin Štindl who was known as Gerspergar. He died in 1593 and the house was then used by his wife Magdalena and children. Magdalena married a widowed goldsmith named Šebestián Eder in 1595. Right after 1600, the house was acquired by Ondřej Gartner who was also the owner of Latrán No. 37. He sold No. 43 to book-binder Hans Khempf in 1602. Maltster Matyáš Mayer owned the house from 1623, followed by the brewer to the prince\'s court Petr Václav. After he died, his wife Sibila used the house. In 1678, the Český Krumlov captain František Resch lived here for a short while before his untimely death. Another brewer to the prince\'s court named Jan Andraško lived here from 1691. Other employee of the court, Kryštof Eberhard, owned the house from 1750 to 1768. After him, the house was purchased by rope-maker Kašpar Kantery who lived here until 1793.

Present Use:
HECI - real estate agent´s, Optics M & V ltd., Gallery - Cafe Studnice, Komerční bank Co., For art Studnice - art works.