Encyclopedia > Town Český Krumlov > Buildings in the Historical Center of Český Krumlov > Náměstí Svornosti (Town Square)

Náměstí Svornosti No. 11

Location:
Náměstí Svornosti No. 11

Description of the Building:
A one-storey building built on a slope. Its main front is from 1880. The left part of the front in the extent of one window axis overlaps towards the square. The entrance is solved by a moulded broken Gothic portal. The interior of the ground floor, accessible through the portal, is vaulted with barrel vaults, while on the left is situated a passage to the yard. The first and second floors have modern design with flat ceilings. At the back of the land parcel is a modern three-storey building. Cellars are vaulted with stone vaults.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The building is of Gothic origin and probably originated from linking two detached houses together. The cellars, part of the masonry, and vaults on the ground floor have been preserved from that time. After a Rennaissance reconstruction, a more extensive reconstruction followed after 1880 when the first floor was completely changed, the second floor was added, and a modern roof was set. The building at the rear probably originates from that time. In the 1980s a reconstruction of the front in the Baroque style was done. It was finished in 1985.

History of the House Residents:
Přibík is mentioned as the first owner of the house in 1424. After 1510 it was obtained by Linhart Dreiling of Dolní Vltavice, whose sons sold it in about 1558 to Wolf Otto, who handed it down to his son Martin. From other owners we can mention e.g. Linhart Kardinál, who obtained the house by marriage with Martin´s widow Verena - Veronika Ott. He did not live there long, he died of the plague in 1598. After 1608 Linhart´s daughter Ludmila, who was a widow after a Rosenberg scribe Matyáš Fuch z Fuchýřova, stayed in the house. A written note from 1654 exists about the house, owned by Melichar Ondráček, that there was a pub with beer on tap and also that beer was brewed there. In 1677 the mayor Florián Alois Hürneg moved into the house, followed in 1699 by an imperial ammunition officer Bernard Pöschl. In 1708 a cook Jakub Veselý stayed there for three years, and after his successor Josef Prähl came a tawer Erasmus Lanser, who lived there until approximately 1739.

Present Use:
Shopping center and cafe Zlatý Anděl, Hotel Zlatý anděl