Encyclopedia > Town Český Krumlov > Buildings in the Historical Center of Český Krumlov > Náměstí Svornosti (Town Square)

Náměstí Svornosti No. 13

Location:
Náměstí Svornosti No. 13

Description of the Building:
This two-story structure with a main facade that faces Svornosti Square and west facade that faces Soukenicka Street has got a historic front facade that is topped off by scrolled gable wall. The building is covered by a high pitched roof. The interior of the structure and its spatial layout is of the present day was originally developed from 1914-1918 and reconfigured in the 1950´s.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The original Gothic structure was one of the most admirable buildings in the Cesky Krumlov square. The building took on a Renaissance appearance when it underwent a renovation project in the first half of the 16th century. In the year 1825, the vaulted arcade was encased in walls and various other parts were repaired. After 1849, the building was reconstructed. The building, with all of its historical and architectural significance, was destroyed after the year 1914, and rebuilt in 1918 to its present day appearance. In the 1950s the building underwent its most recent, noteworthy alterations when the building was connected to its neighboring structure, building no. 12, and was structurally adapted to be used as part of the hotel.

Náměstí Svornosti no's.  12, 13 and 14, historical photo Náměstí Svornosti no's.  13 and 14, historical photo


History of the House Residents:

In the year 1424 the building was owned by a town clerk named Mikuláš Tlučba. From 1463-1504 the building belonged to a painter named Vítkov, who sold the building in 1510 to businessman and town council member Ondřej Fridburger (Frymburgar). Fridburgar was a merchant who sold paints, canvas, foreign spices, or soaps which he transported to Krumlov from the markets in Salzburg. His shop and stock room were located in the building. In the year 1553 the building was purchased by Ondřej´s son Řehoř Pavel Promberger from Moravské Třeboň who had improvements made to the building. Promberger´s widow Pauluska, a well-known midwife in Krumlov, was remarried in the year 1582 to the chamberlain Wilhelm von Rosenberg and later to Peter Wok´s attendant Pavel Finkenauer, who eventually took over the ownership of the building. The next significant owner of the building was the Český Krumlov chief magistrate Kilián Hölderle von Schattenberg, who was also the owner of the adjacent building no. 12. In the year 1640, the building was acquired for 1 000 dozen Meissen Groschen by advisor and district administrator Jan Baumann von Hall, after whom the building was referred to as "The Baumann" until the beginning of the 20th century. In 1677 the house was bought by the town council and almost fifty years later the council rented the building to Adam Franz Zu Schwarzenberg. He gave it over to the disposal of his hunting baron from Cetvice, and until the beginning of the 19th century the buiolding served as accommodations for soldiers. In the year 1849, first and second floors were occupied by the county court and the ground level was occupied by the court jail. In the year 1914, the original building was demolished and in its place the present-day annex to the town hotel was built.

Present Use:
Restaurant - Hotel The Old Inn