Encyclopedia > Town Český Krumlov > Buildings in the Historical Center of Český Krumlov > Panská Street

Panská No. 18

Panská no. 18, overview Location:
Panská No. 18

Description of the Building:
A one-storey corner building with a Classical front originates from the time about 1800 with some remains of the previous state. The entrance portal is early-Gothic with a moulded cornice. It is a deep two-aisle with barrel-vaults and an extensive hall at the front.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The house originates from the 14th century. The cellar, originally protruding above the terraine level, and a small pointed window in the facade, facing Soukenická street, come from that time. The layout of the ground floor including the vaults originates from the late-Gothic period, from the beginning of the 16th century. The early-Rennaissance portal and the decked ceiling on the first floor are extremely important. The layout of the first floor belongs among the most remarkable ones in Český Krumlov. It was probably created in the Rennaissance period. In the second half of the 18th century the house was reconstructed in two stages, in the Baroque and Classical styles. The Baroque gable of the main front was removed in 1894 together with the vaulting and a chimney cowl in the scullery. In the first half of the 19th century the back wing was added. The reconstruction was finished in 1987.

Significant Architectural Features:
An extremely significant Rennaissance portal ( first quarter of the 16th century ) with an engraved five-petal rose. A small pointed window, facing Soukenická street, from the 14th century. The layout of the first floor ( first third of the 16th century ).

History of the House Residents:
Panská no. 18, entrance portal In the years 1459 - 1484 the owner of the house was a certain Zbiják. This name was commonly used to call people of cooper´s trade. In the years 1500 - 1504 the house belonged to Perml, who moved there from Široká street. In 1510 a carpenter Marx moved in the house and sold it then in 1525 to Michal Wostrštajgar, who got rid of it very quickly, because in 1531 another owner, a shoemaker Havel, died there. Shortly before his death, he sold the back part of the house ( called Kuglvajt, present Soukenická No. 173) to a butcher Beneš. A furrier Michal came after him and his wife Anna took the house over, when Michal died in 1536. Anna died in 1549 and willed the house to her son Jeroným, who ran furrier´s trade there further on. Jeroným, nicknamed Křivý Jaroš, whose surname did not have to be the same as his father´s in that time, could have been Hoslinger or Hofelhofer. Jaroš died in 1571 and left a widow Barbora with children. She sold the house in 1578 to a wood-carver Hans Marten, who died soon and the house was bought from his widow Regina by a carpenter Prokop Weigl in 1588. In 1605 Valentin Mazouch bought it and sold it to Petr Nucek in 1612. From 1621 his widow Kristina looked after the house and handed it down to her son Ambrož. Ambrož sold the house to his brother Michal in 1629 and he changed it with Jiří Schmidt ze Schattenbergu for his house on the corner of the square and Panská No. 16 in 1638. In 1654 Schmidt´s widow Alžběta took care of the house. The Schmidts ze Schattenbergu owned the house to the 50s of the 18th century.

Present Use:
India Restaurant - Taj Mahal