Encyclopedia > Town Český Krumlov > Buildings in the Historical Center of Český Krumlov > Radniční Street

Radniční No. 27 Radniční No. 27, overview, foto: Lubor Mrázek

Location:
Radniční No. 27

Description of the Building:
A two-storey house on a deep land parcel with a court wing without a yard, the main building has a saddle roof covered by shingles. The street front is Classical from the end of the 18th century.

Architectural and Historical Development:
The house is of medieval origin, as we can see in the back stone cellar and on the brick formpieces of the entrance portal leading to the yard. A significant reconstruction was probably carried out at the beginning of the 17th century. Vaulting of the entrance hall, joist ceilings in a chamber on the first floor and the mezzanine, including the interior ornamental decorations (today the ceilings have been replaced by steel concrete constructions) probably originate from that time. In the 18th century, excepting the facade, some interiors were renovated e.g. joist ceilings were covered, the entrance hall was divided and the extention of the second floor was also reconstructed (see also Archeological Research in Český Krumlov).

Significant Architectural Features:

  • the late-Baroque front with a mural of St Ignác from Loyola (?)
  • stone jambs of the entrances with panels
  • vaulting of the entrance hall

Radniční No. 27, front facade, foto: Lubor Mrázek

  • a fragment of the medieval brick portal leading to the yard
  • vaulting of the upper hall with a huge chimney cowl
  • preserved historical plaster layers in both chambers with remains of ornamental decorations
  • a Baroque door frame - a chamber on the first floor

History of the House Residents:
The oldest written mention of the house from 1532 informs us of the sale of the property by Dorota Pircl to a baker Lukš for 210 three scores of Meissen groschen. From 1536 the house belonged to a merchant Jiří Bonsam and four years later to a silver smelter Sebald Mattighover. His son Kryštof kept it until 1569 when a shoemaker Wolf Pils moved there. He owned the house until the beginning of the 17th century. From 1626 a maltster Vavřinec Stiller stayed in the house, followed by another maltster Matyáš Bernard. In 1663 a miller Jiří Proissl or Promeissl moved there. From 1694 gingerbread maker´s trade was run in the house, the first gingerbread maker being Jan Ott. A gingerbread maker Ignác Stieber stayed in the house from 1833, followed by Kašpar Petzival. In 1928 a sweetshop was established there.

Radniční no. 27, condition before reconstruction Radniční no. 27 - remains of stone window jambs, condition before reconstruction

Present Use:
Hotel and Pub "U malého Vítka"